[Fedora-xen] kernel-2.6.32.10-1.2.92.xendom0.fc12.x86_64 X broken on MacBook

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Mar 25 17:15:29 UTC 2010

W. Michael Petullo wrote:
>>> I just tried kernel-2.6.32.10-1.2.92.xendom0.fc12.x86_64 from Mike
>>> Young's repository on my MacBook and found that the video driver does
>>> not seem to work. Lspci reports:
>>>
>>> 02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9400M (rev b1)
>>>

>> Have previous versions of the xendom0 kernels worked successfully?
>>

> Yes. However, I have been away from Xen for a few months. I have lost
> track of which kernel I was using before. I know that it worked fine on
> my graphics card with no changes to the default (non-Xen) configuration.
>

>> What is the grub.conf entry? Have you passed nomodeset to the kernel module?
>>

> I tried adding nomodeset, but that did not help by itself. I ended up
> doing the following:
>
> 1. Add nomodeset to kernel command line.
>
> 2. Create an xorg.conf that uses the VESA driver (X -configure, edit).

In the past I have had success using nomodeset followed by either
"video=vesafb" or "vga=XXX" for a vesa mode. These have the advantage
(if they work) of (a) not changing the basic config so a better driver
can be easily tested, and (b) being easily by boot line edit tested
before making any changes which need file edits.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we