[Fedora-xen] Dom0 xen support in Fedora 15?

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Sun Nov 7 21:41:39 UTC 2010

On 10-11-07 03:55 PM, M A Young wrote:
> I am trying to work out whether it is practical to propose Dom0 xen
> support as a feature for Fedora 15.
>
> The kernel situation is that Domain 0 has been accepted upstream for
> 2.6.37. Assuming a 3 month kernel release cycle, F15 will most likely ship
> with a 2.6.37.x kernel, with 2.6.38 coming out either after the F15
> release or just before but too late to be included. If the plan to get key
> xen drivers into 2.6.38 succeeds, then F15 may be become usable as a
> Domain 0 system at some point during its lifetime as the kernel package in
> a Fedora version typically has one major update.
>
> If the kernel team accept backported patches then it might just be
> possible to ship F15 with usable Domain 0 support but the timescale for
> that would be very tight.
>
> The other thing we would need to consider is what needs to be done to make
> xen friendly enough to be usable by an ordinary user. The page
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/XenPvopsDom0 contains plans from
> when dom0 xen support was expected to make a quick return to Fedora, but
> they are a couple of years old now so probably need updating.
>
> I think as a minimum we would need a way to add a dom0 enabled grub entry
> for a kernel, rather than requiring the user to hand edit the grub file.
> We should also make sure that xen works with the other Fedora
> virtualisation tools.
>
> What do others think about this? For example is it achievable as a
> feature, is it too early and better to wait for F16, and what else should
> we aim to do to make xen usable in Fedora?
>
>  	Michael Young

I wish I was more technically adept to make an argument in favour of
dom0 in F15 natively. As a user though, I would be absolutely thrilled
to see this happen.

I've been working on tutorials meant to introduce Xen's use in Red Hat
clusters, and I would be more that happy to donate or adapt it to help
the cause.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer at alteeve.com