[Fedora-xen] [fedora-virt] Dom0 xen support in Fedora 15?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Nov 9 16:21:08 UTC 2010

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 11:52:08AM -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>> Dor Laor wrote:

>>> Have you consider kvm? it's upstream since 2.6.20 and now its more ready
>>> than ever.
>>>

>> There are some good tutorials which should explain the difference
>> between xen and kvm, particularly the performance and hardware
>> requirements of each.
>>
> In any case, the question of whether KVM or Xen is best, is not really
> relevant to whether Xen Dom0 has a place in F15. Fedora will welcome any
> software that meets the packaging&  licensing guidelines, and has someone
> who is willing to maintain it. So if people want to maintain Xen as an
> alternative virtualization option in Fedora, they're welcome todo so.
> KVM will of course remain the default virt host setup offered in the
> installer

Fine. The point I was making is that a non-trivial user base has
hardware which does not support KVM, both legacy and recent low end CPUs
like ATOM (and Celeron, I believe). And there is a fair amount of old
hardware which does support KVM, but not all that well, like Q6600,
which benefit from using xen. So while KVM may be a choice for recent
hardware, there is a user base which would benefit from having xen.

And I would hope that the installer would be clever enough to see if KVM
is supported and offer xen if not. Doesn't need to be default, available
is fine.

--
Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>
   "We can't solve today's problems by using the same thinking we