[Fedora-xen] [fedora-virt] Dom0 xen support in Fedora 15?

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Tue Nov 9 17:54:08 UTC 2010

Quoting Digimer <linux at alteeve.com>:

> On 10-11-09 11:49 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> AFAIK there are some issues with that benchmark not being free.
>>
>> What I'm basically looking for is a simple comparison of a few key metrics
>> between common setups. For example a simple bonnie++ run on XenPV and
>> KVM+virtio_blk could already give people at least some baseline numbers.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Dennis
>
> I'd be happy to run some benchmarks. I've got some identical (if humble)
> machines... Would you want just a Xen vs. KVM? If so, what parameters or
> setup options would provide the best apples to apples comparison?
>
> The machines are;
> - quad core athlon II x4
> - 4gb ddr3
> - 1x 7200rom 500GB drive
> - Fedora 14, stripped (but identical) installs
>
> If these are too low end for useful results, let me know. Otherwise,
> I'll fire up Xen under Michael's 2.6.32-25-172 kernel with the stock
> 4.0.1 hypervisor on one machine, and can use the stock KVM/QEMU setup
> for another.
>
> Assuming all is fine, would it matter whether the VMs were F14 vs CentOS
> 5.5?
>
> I was thinking 3x runs each of;
>
> - bonnie++
> - Recompile Michael's kernel
> - ?? Please make suggestions

Digimer,

I would think the latest xen vs the latest kvm would be best. Fully
virtualized vs Para-virtualized, is that possible with kvm? I don't
believe your specs are too low end, they actually match pretty close
to what I have and I don't think the OS matters that much as long as
they are identical setups.

Thanks for offering to do the comparison, I am very interested in your
results.

Jon