[Fedora-xen] Xen Not Displayed in Boot Menu

sorabh hamirwasia sorabhit at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 18:42:07 UTC 2012

I found the resolution for it. If we update the bootloader to use grub2
instead of legacy grub it will then list all the options. Linux as well as
Xen related options. For updating the bootloader I followed the steps
mentioned in below link :-

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Grub2#From_an_Installed_System_with_Grub_Legacy

Testing With Chain Loading

GRUB2 includes a boot image that's loadable from GRUB Legacy, so you can
try it out without wiping out your existing, working MBR. To set up GRUB2
without actually writing to the MBR, run

grub2-install --grub-setup=/bin/true /dev/sda
Writing to the MBR

If that works, you can go on testing to writing to your MBR. Same steps as
above, but don't tell grub to run the dummy setup program /bin/true

grub2-install /dev/sda

Congratulations! You've reached the point of no return! If you can't boot
now you will need to run a rescue CD

Regards,

~Sorabh

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <
konrad.wilk at oracle.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 02:37:32PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 08, 2012 at 12:00:44AM -0700, sorabh hamirwasia wrote:
> > >    Hi,
> > >    I have installed "Xen" on Fedora16 host using "yum install xen"
> command
> > >    and it has been installed properly. I can see the changes in
> > >    /etc/grub2.cfg file too. But when I reboot then the entry for Xen
> is not
> > >    listed in the boot menu. On further analyzing I found that in
> > >    /etc/grub.conf there is no entry related to Xen. Do we need to
> modify
>
> Wouldn't it be in /boot/grub2/grub.cfg ?
>
> > >    grub.conf manually ? If yes then how to do that. ?
> > >    Please help me with this.
> > >

> > You can tweak the Xen hypervisor cmdline options in:
> > /etc/default/grub file, like this:
> >
> > GRUB_DEFAULT="Xen"
> > GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN="dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all"
> >
> > .. or whatever options you want to use.
> > After that update the grub menu: grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
> >
> > -- Pasi
> >
> > --

Regards,
Sorabh