[Fedora-xen] How to create a Xen PV DomU with a dvd ISO image, using xl/xm

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Fri Jun 21 17:40:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, 21 Jun 2013, ranjith krishnan wrote:

> Hello,
> I was looking to create a Xen DomU with a .iso image saved in the hard
> disk.
> I ran into some trouble with http based install, hence looking at this
> option.
>
> This is what i have currently. Just wanted to know if I am on the right
> track here, and hoping to get some tips if somebody has similar experience.
>
> I compiled Xen 4.1.5 from source on a Fedora 17 Dom0, and I want to create
> DomU images.
> I have downloaded the .iso image for Fedora 17. I have a logical volume
> xmf17lvm on volume group xenvg.
>
> Here is my install profile ( will use "xm create -c xmf17install" )
>
> name="xmf17install"
> memory=1024
> vcpus=1
> disk=['file:/home/isoimage/Fedora17.iso,xvdc:cdrom,r','phy:/dev/xenvg/xmf17
> lvm,xvda,w']
> vif = [ 'bridge=br0' ]
> onreboot = 'restart'
> oncrash = 'restart'
> boot='d'
> builder='hvm'

Surely builder='hvm' is wrong for PV.

A PV install from an iso image is possible but tricky. You will probably
need to extract the kernel and initrd.img file from the iso and load them
directly in the configuration file with the kernel= and ramdisk= options,
and pass appropriate boot options using the extra= option.

 	Michael Young