Xfce critical path

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 27 20:59:06 UTC 2010

Hello world,

as you may have noticed Fedora is about to change it's update policy.
New updates get tested more carefully to avoid the breakage we sometimes
had in the past. You can read all about the new update policy at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_acceptance_criteria

For the new update policy we need to define a "critical path" for each
desktop environment. This is a set of packages that is considered as
important for the desktop and therefore get more testing. For more info
on the critical path, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_Path_Packages and
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Critical_Path_Packages_Proposal

My suggestion for Xfce is to use the "mandatory" packages of the current
xfce-desktop group. ATM these are

desktop-backgrounds-compat
      * libxfce4menu
      * libxfce4util
      * libxfcegui4
      * Thunar
      * xfce-utils
      * xfce4-panel
      * xfce4-session
      * xfce4-settings
      * xfconf
      * xfdesktop
      * xfwm4

In comps this will boil down to
      * xfce-utils
      * xfce4-session
      * xfce4-settings
because dependencies get pulled in automatically.

Is everybody fine with this set or should there be more packages in the
group, e.g. all Xfce "Core" packages (in contrast to the Xfce Goodies)?

Regards,
Christoph