Using desktop notification without gnome's notification-daemon

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 08:45:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am using xfce4-notifyd for desktop notification. I have turned off
gnome's notification-daemon as per this,

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/xfce/2010-June/000139.html

Now my question is, I want to use notification using notify-send. But
when I execute something like this on the terminal,

$ notify-send "Msg" "body"

I don't see any notification on the desktop. Does anyone know why? Does
notify-send work only with gnome's notification-daemon? If so, what is
the corresponding command for xfce4-notifyd.

My intention is to call these notifications from the terminal to notify
me when my jobs finish. Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

--
Suvayu