Building my own livecd

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Feb 8 19:39:46 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 07.02.2010, 14:06 -0800 schrieb Suvayu Ali:

> I found out why I couldn't switch to root, I hadn't set SELinux to
> permissive before building the image. :) Just for my information, why do
> we need SELinux to be in permissive mode? Is it a bug that is being
> worked on, or is there something more subtle going on?

Selinux works with rules based on names on file names/paths. During
creation of the livecd, a complete installation is done within a chroot
environment. This means that the complete set of rules would be required
not only for the the host on which the image is created but also for the
installation inside the chroot. This is hardly possible.

> However the image size issue still remains. I guess I will have to drop
> some more essential packages ... :(

Use your current image to find out why a package was pulled in. Try to
remove it with yum and you should see.

Regards,
Christoph