Wanted: Suggestions for the F13 Xfce Spin

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jan 12 15:31:13 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Some random thoughts about the package selection Spin:
>
> Drop gftp (3,3 mb): we can do the same with Thunar and gigilo.

+1 if its not needed, no reason to keep and old app around, anyone who
still wants it can yum install it.

> Drop totem: Should save us ~ 12 mb. Parole seems a good alternative.
> 0.2.0 was just released and works fine, except there are some problems
> with the audio. And we would loose automatic codec installation with
> PackageKit.

+1 again, I've been using Parole for a while now and it does quite well

> Replace mousepad with leafpad? Mousepad was forked from leafpad to add
> printing. Unfortunately this requires xfconf wich we don't ship (in
> favor of system-config-printer) and is very limited. Leafpad now has
> full printing support via the gtk-print dialog. A rewrite of mousepad is
> planned, but it's not sure if it will be before F13.

+1 yet again, I find mousepad to be lacking

> What about midori? of course we are not going to drop it, but I don't
> think that it can replace firefox until F13, for example it doesn't work
> with the java or parole plugin.

I think we should stay the way we are now, keep Firefox the default
but continue to ship Midori so that it can get exposure and hopefully
a bit of feedback.

> Another login manager? We could use to SLiM or LXDM. LXDM has more
> features, but is still in early stages of development and there are
> still SELinux problems. Downsides:
>     1. With SLiM and LXDM we loose automatic unlocking of the default
>        keyring, but we are working on this (at least I am in LXDM).
>     2. We loose fast user switching. Not sure how popular this is
>        though.

I think we should stick with gdm for now until LXDM is more mature and
has support for the keyring stuff because I think it would be a major
regression to have people typing their keyring passwords every login
when they didn't used to have to

> Include some plugins for geany?

I'm open to suggestion.

> More development stuff, e.g meld?

sure! development stuff is always nice :)

<SNIP>

That's just my take on it but I'm still open to other ideas.

-AdamM

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com