SSH - Gui ?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 18:54:19 UTC 2010

Hi Frank,

On Saturday 26 June 2010 11:36 AM, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Saturday 26 June 2010 04:54 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
>> On 25/06/10 21:51, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> --snip--
>>>
>>> If you prefer a gui, you could try a vnc client or nx client over ssh
>>> tunnelling. But I don't use the gui a lot.
>>>
>>> GL
>>
>> I prefer a gui, as it is easier to explain to non-linux people,
>> how to go about things. To do so, I need to understand the methods
>> myself. They (as I at times) see a terminal, they see hardship.
>>
> Another, probably simpler (less terminal and more gui oriented), thing
> to try would be to use remmina and its built in capabilities for ssh
> tunnelling for vnc. But again I have never used it.

I just tried this yesterday, it works seamlessly. To try this, start a
vncserver on the remote machine with something like,

user at remote$ vncserver :<display> -geometry <preferred_resolution>

You can leave this running if you prefer. Then you can skip this step
for subsequent connections. However I would suggest turning of things
like screensavers if your remote system is shared by other users.After
this you can connect with remmina like this,

VNC tab:
--------
remote.example.com:<display>
user name:user
password:<vnc_password>

SSH tab:
enable SSH tunnelling
select same server port 22
user name:user
authentication:either password or use ssh keys

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

--
Suvayu