SSH - Gui ?

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 18:36:53 UTC 2010

On Saturday 26 June 2010 04:54 AM, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 25/06/10 21:51, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> --snip--
>>
>> If you prefer a gui, you could try a vnc client or nx client over ssh
>> tunnelling. But I don't use the gui a lot.
>>
>> GL
>
> I prefer a gui, as it is easier to explain to non-linux people,
> how to go about things. To do so, I need to understand the methods
> myself.   They (as I at times) see a terminal, they see hardship.

The problem with vnc is it transmits the password for the vncserver in
plain text, hence my recommendation to port forward your connection over
ssh. I haven't done this before, but many of my colleagues who prefer
guis do it quite often. I think the -D option for ssh is what you should
look for.

Another, probably simpler (less terminal and more gui oriented), thing
to try would be to use remmina and its built in capabilities for ssh
tunnelling for vnc. But again I have never used it.

Worth a shot ... :-/ good luck.

--
Suvayu