Non-default desktop validation testing for F14 final

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Oct 5 06:16:51 UTC 2010

Hi, folks. Just an update on desktop validation testing for F14 final
(we'll hit the TC stage next week).

I've been chatting to a few people about the idea of having bugs in
desktop validation outside of GNOME block releases, and there turn out
to be quite a lot of questions involved in terms of how exactly the
project as a whole views the various spins and desktops. I'm happy to
discuss this in more detail (oh, so much boring detail) if anyone's
interested, but the upshot is that basically we're going to have to ask
the board for clarification on a few things about the exact status of
non-default desktops and spins.

In the meantime, given the conclusion, I agreed with others in the
release process (QA and releng) that for F14 Final (and we did this for
Beta too) we'll consider failures in the desktop validation testing for
LXDE and XFCE to be nice-to-have bugs under the new NTH process, rather
than blockers. That means we'll take fixes for them through the release
freeze, but won't hold the release for them. Failures in desktop
validation testing for GNOME and KDE will be considered blockers.

Once we have the wider questions sorted out one way or another, we'll
take another look at the status of failures in LXDE and XFCE, and any
other desktops/spins we extend validation testing to for F15 (I'm
looking at Sugar and Meego for that time). But for now, just a heads-up
that we'll be treating XFCE/LXDE validation issues as nice-to-have for
Final. Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey