F14 RC3: WiFi problem on Samsung netbooks

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Oct 5 08:45:04 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Oct 2010 10:16:20 +0100
> Ron Leach <ronleach at tesco.net> wrote:
>

>> Under F14, Network manager does not seem to recognise any WiFi access
>> points and, after adding some, still does not see them to connect to.
>>   The 'network icon' in the panel has a 'red cross' against it.
>>

> What wireless card is it?
>
> lspci and/or lsusb should tell you.

Here an extract from lspci -v :

> 05:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8192E Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
> 	Subsystem: Askey Computer Corp. Device 7160
> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
> 	I/O ports at 2000 [size=256]
> 	Memory at f0100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 3
> 	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> 	Capabilities: [70] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
> 	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> 	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
> 	Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number <stripped>
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
> 	Subsystem: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd Device c073
> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 46
> 	Memory at f0200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> 	I/O ports at 3000 [size=256]
> 	Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 3
> 	Capabilities: [5c] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> 	Capabilities: [c0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
> 	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> 	Capabilities: [130] Device Serial Number <stripped>
> 	Kernel driver in use: sky2
> 	Kernel modules: sky2

>> On a different netbook, Acer AspireOne (on which F13 XFCE is
>> installed), while F13 does find the inbuilt wireless system and
>> lights a WiFi LED, the F14 RC3 XFCE liveCD does not find the
>> wireless, and the WiFi LED on the AspireOne does not light.
>>
>> I'll do some more checks of dmesg to see how far F14 gets in finding
>> the WiFi system.  Are there other files I should check?
>
> I would first look at lspci/lsusb to figure out what card it is, then
> go from there. dmesg might also be informative.

This post is saying that, on another netbook (for comparison), F13
finds the wireless (on an Acer AspireOne netbook), but F14 RC3 does
not.  So it seems that there's something different between F13 and F14
in respect of wireless support.

I'll post back with details of this other netbook, Acer AspireOne, too.

thanks, Ron