F14 RC3: Bluetooth difficulty on Samsung netbook

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Oct 5 09:01:34 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Not sure I understand. You have a f14 install that doesn't see
> bluetooth, but the live media does?
>
> Or it does until you install to HD and then it does not?

Kevin, thanks for reply; sorry the posts were not too clear.

Netbook: Samsung NB30, built-in Bluetooth.

Test 1: F14-XFCE RC3 HD install, Bluetooth icon shows but with red
cross against it, machine cannot 'find' or 'use' any bluetooth devices.

Test 2: For comparison, using F13-XFCE (not F14) on live media (so as
not to overwrite the F14 HD install, which I had wanted to use going
forward), Bluetooth icon does not have red cross, popup menu on icon
has several more commands than the popup had on F14, and machine sees
Bluetooth device (mobile phone).

Seemingly, F13 finds bluetooth and can use it, F14 does not.

Here an extract of lsusb -v from the F14 installation (long, probably
includes each sub-capability)

> [...]
>       bAlternateSetting       5
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       224 Wireless
>       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Radio Frequency
>       bInterfaceProtocol      1 Bluetooth
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
>         bmAttributes            1
>           Transfer Type            Isochronous
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
>         bInterval               1
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
>         bmAttributes            1
>           Transfer Type            Isochronous
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
>         bInterval               1
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
>       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
>       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
>       iInterface              0
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
>         bInterval               1
>       Endpoint Descriptor:
>         bLength                 7
>         bDescriptorType         5
>         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
>         bmAttributes            2
>           Transfer Type            Bulk
>           Synch Type               None
>           Usage Type               Data
>         wMaxPacketSize     0x0020  1x 32 bytes
>         bInterval               1
>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        3
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           0
>       bInterfaceClass       254 Application Specific Interface
>       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Device Firmware Update
>       bInterfaceProtocol      1
>       iInterface              0
>       Device Firmware Upgrade Interface Descriptor:
>         bLength                             7
>         bDescriptorType                    33
>         bmAttributes                        7
>           Will Not Detach
>           Manifestation Tolerant
>           Upload Supported
>           Download Supported
>         wDetachTimeout                   5000 milliseconds
>         wTransferSize                      64 bytes

Once again, apologies if the original posts - which were followed with
some dmesg output in subsequent posts - were confusing.

regards, Ron