F14 RC3 WLAN not working; F13 works fine

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Wed Oct 6 08:31:47 UTC 2010

List, good morning,

On Acer AspireOne netbook, F14RC3 beta network manager does not see,
or allow connection to, wireless networks that exist.  Network icon
has a red cross against it.  Wireless networks do not show in the
network popup.  Adding 'connections' via the popup still doesn't let
NM 'see' the active WLANs.

F13 (Goddard), on the same netbook, sees the networks and connects to
them without difficulty.

Machine: Acer AspireOne AOA150
WLAN: Atheros AR5001
F14: XFCE live CD, Sept 30 2010 release for CD
Updates: 'yum update' run 5 Oct 2010

Here an extract from lspci -v

> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
> 	Subsystem: Foxconn International, Inc. Device e008
> 	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 18
> 	Memory at 35200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> 	Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
> 	Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
> 	Capabilities: [60] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
> 	Capabilities: [90] MSI-X: Enable- Count=1 Masked-
> 	Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
> 	Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
> 	Kernel driver in use: ath5k
> 	Kernel modules: ath5k

This is quite odd, users won't be expecting things that worked on F13
to stop working on F14, so I'd like to help sort out what the problem
is.

Please let me know what information is needed to pin this down, or
whether I should try some other commands.

regards, Ron