F14 RC3: Bluetooth difficulty on Samsung netbook

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Wed Oct 6 09:50:10 UTC 2010

Adam Williamson, as helpful as ever, wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 10:01 +0100, Ron Leach wrote:
>> Seemingly, F13 finds bluetooth and can use it, F14 does not.
>
> Right click the icon, hit 'disable bluetooth', then right click it again
> and hit 'enable bluetooth'.

Nope, no luck.

> Or do 'service bluetooth stop' then 'service
> bluetooth start' as root at a console.

skipped that since the click-restart hadn't worked

> It's a known bug in the bluez
> package in the Beta, it's been fixed since then (so 'yum update' should
> also get you a bluez that works).

Oh, excellent.
Did that, had time for a couple of cups of coffee, too :)

Bluetooth finds device, etc.
That problem is solved.

I now realise that there is a residual issue, though:
The machine cannot 'browse' the files on the bluetooth device (mobile
phone).  Nothing seems to happen, a bluetooth activity symbol comes on
on the phone, but the file manager doesn't load, and nothing else
happens.  Surprised, I dropped back to F13 as well, to see whether
that could, but F13 also fails to browse the files.  So this browse
failure is not F14-specific.

The hardware on both netbook and phone are ok; Netbook under XPhome
sees the phone and can browse files.

I'm going to do some more checks.  I'm going to check using a USB
plug-in BT device (which may use a different driver), and I'm going to
check on a different machine, as well, to try to narrow down where the
problem shows up.  Anything more I find on the 'browsing problem' I'll
post in a new thread with a different title since it's a different
problem.

Adam, thanks again for the pointer,

regards, Ron