[SOLVED]: F14 RC3: WiFi problem on Samsung netbooks

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Sun Oct 24 19:13:16 UTC 2010

Nathan Thomas wrote:

> The bad news is that there isn't an in-kernel driver for it yet, but the
> good news is that Realtek have released an open-source driver out into
> the wild that works well with my F13 install.
>
> I had one or two issues getting the kernel module to load on boot in my
> x86_64 installation, if this happens to you please feel free to email me
> and I'll let you know what I did to fix it.

Nathan, just to say I tracked down a driver and installed it.  I
didn't find any problems on booting.  The README with the driver was
pretty good, but I had to also load the kernel source, and the gcc
compilers, before I could create the driver - I hit these errors
because, on a fairly light XFCE clean install, neither of these were
already there (and I hadn't realised that).

On the laptop list I've posted details of what I did, to help others
because I think this chipset is common, and there are a lot of newer
folk trying these netbooks who may otherwise find installing a driver
from source too daunting (it isn't really).

Thanks for your help and for the advice that there was a driver available.

regards, Ron