FC14; Vino - can't seem to get it working

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Oct 26 18:01:19 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> Sorry, it should be /usr/libexec/vino-server

Kevin, well done, that's brought up vino, after I restart.

Hmm...  But I can't log in over wireless, not can I ping the machine
now.  Even if I disable the firewall.

But if I abandon WiFi, and use eth0, then I can log in fine.  Perfect.

Worried about the wireless, though.  And I'm using the 'wild' rtl8192e
driver.  I wonder if that doesn't like 'inbound' signals?  Doesn't
really make sense, though, does it, they're just a series of packets
on a link that's already up.  When I tried to login, the vnc viewer
(tight-vnc, vista) tried to connect, and took a 'long' time to decide
it couldn't get through, maybe 15 secs.  Normally fails in around 5
secs if something is blocked.  Odd.

It's not a vino issue, obviously.  It's likely a network/driver issue,
I think.  I'll start a thread on the laptop list since it's a chipset
common to a lot of laptops.

Thanks, again, Kevin.  Oh.  Should the vino package have installed
itself in autostart?  (It didn't under FC13, either, by the way.)

regards, Ron