xfce spin size

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 19 17:01:27 UTC 2010

Am Sonntag, den 19.09.2010, 01:23 +0200 schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 17:18 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Currently we are over sized on the Xfce spin for f14:
> >
> >       xfce-i386-20100917.16.iso   17-Sep-2010 17:54  727M
> >       xfce-x86_64-20100916.15.iso 16-Sep-2010 17:07  728M
> >
> > So, we need about 30ish MB.
> >
> > I can't see any easy thing to remove, so I am going to reluctantly
> > suggest we remove the java-1.6.0-openjdk* packages. :(
> > This means no java plugin out of the box on firefox (openjdk seems to
> > have issues with midori, so I wouldn't call it working there).
> >
> > Any objections? Or other items people see for us to remove?

I don't like the idea of removing Java. Instead I suggest to remove
ether midori or firefox as we don't need two browsers. If we drop
firefox, I'm fine with dropping java too.

> Only question is, does the spin need to be CD sized any more? have you
> considered the things the desktop group considered?

I think it should still target 700 MB. Here in EMEA we are doing Xfce
live CDs. The problem for me is that Fedora gets bigger by 30-40 with
every release.

> does xfce use metacity as the wm? If not, you may be able to save space
> by doing what kde did and running firstboot inside xfce's wm, thus
> saving the space of metacity+deps.

I have built a new xfwm4 package with "Provides:
firstboot(windowmanager)", so we get rid of metacity now.
Let's see how much this saves us before we decide to drop more things.

Regards,
Christoph