Xfce spin Beta RC3 validation pass

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Sep 28 15:06:57 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 15:02 +0100, Ron Leach wrote:
> Philip Rhoades wrote:
> > Ron wrote,
> >> Back to F14 beta RC3, the topic of your original post, you are
> >> experiencing very slow operations with F14. Adam's post suggests that
> >> F14 needs a new driver for your chipset (he says 'soon for F14'). My own
> >> feeling is that until a GMA500-specific driver is employed, in view of
> >> the historic problems described in Adam's blog Xorg might be a bit
> >> unstable with that chipset.
> >

> > I don't know about that but I don't understand why F14 can't behave at
> > least as well as F13 with the 1024x768 res.
> >

> That's a fair point.  I wonder if F14 contains a different (newer)
> version of 'Xorg', maybe.  Anyway, Adam said he'd update the GMA500
> driver to F14 - he'll have to test it anyway, and so it should be both
> available, and loadable.

vesa is a very slow driver. It's possible F14 is putting more strain on
the driver in some way. What desktop are you running, Philip?

It's fairly common for newer resolutions like 1366x768 not to show up
when using vesa, although this can be fixed by the vesa developers if
you file a bug report (it's not a high priority though).

xorg-x11-drv-psb should be available for F14 now. Did you make sure to
follow the instructions to enable the RPM Fusion repositories, including
the non-free repository, before running 'yum install xorg-x11-drv-psb'?
You're not running the x86-64 Fedora, are you? (I only build the driver
for ix86 at present, up till now only 32-bit systems have had GMA 500
graphics).

I think PCLOS probably has the psb driver out of the box, there would be
no legal or technical restriction on them doing this, and a Mandriva
package of the driver is available which they would likely source from.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey