Xfce spin Beta RC3 validation pass

Philip Rhoades phil at pricom.com.au
Tue Sep 28 13:17:07 UTC 2010

Ron,

On 2010-09-28 21:00, Ron Leach wrote:
> Phil, sorry to reply slightly out of sequence (I've accidentally deleted
> your useful post about the display).
>
> Thanks for the clarification about F13 and the display geometries when
> using F13 'straight out of the box'. In summary, your experience tells
> us F13 doesn't support GMA500 at 1366x768, though Adam suggests a
> replacement driver in rpmfusion might do so (does do so?).

I can't get 1366x768 on F13 but the lower res is fine for me anyway.
I've tried to install (for both F13 and F14) but the package in the link
doesn't seem to exist . .

> You experienced difficulty trying that driver - was that in F13 or in
> your F14 trial?

Both now . .

> Back to F14 beta RC3, the topic of your original post, you are
> experiencing very slow operations with F14. Adam's post suggests that
> F14 needs a new driver for your chipset (he says 'soon for F14'). My own
> feeling is that until a GMA500-specific driver is employed, in view of
> the historic problems described in Adam's blog Xorg might be a bit
> unstable with that chipset.

I don't know about that but I don't understand why F14 can't behave at
least as well as F13 with the 1024x768 res.

> Your remark about PClinuxOS2010 is interesting, though. I, too, wonder
> what driver they are using; unfortunately I lack the skills to suggest
> how to check it, sorry about that. Did you say that driver gives you
> 1366x768 (I've lost your post).

I have sent the output of PClinuxOS2010 pcimodules and lsmod to someone
else in case that helps them.

Regards,

Phil.
--