Xfce Spin Beta - Thoughts, feedback requested.

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Fri Apr 22 04:45:30 UTC 2011

Hello XFCE land!

I've been unfortunately busy lately and just today got a chance to
download the Fedora 15 Xfce Spin Beta image. I have fired it up and its
*really* good, the install process went great and the Xfce upstream
appears to have nullified the issue with the "ghost mounting" of
something that wasn't there which causes a false error popup during
install, so yey!

Also, major kudos to Christoph for leading the packaging charge for this
release of Xfce! Your efforts are much appreciated.

Now on to the "errrm.... " mentions.

It looks like we're still using Slim which seems to prompt for a
password at login of the live user, I don't know that it actually checks
for a password or just accepts anything because I just guessed "live"
and it let me log on. I'm not against sticking with Slim for the release
but I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to make it autologin?

Next is the default GTK theme, its not using Adwaita which makes
anything the user were to install that's written in GTK3 look ....
"blocky" Can we get some +1's to changing that default config?

Also, I notice the gnome sound applet in the system tray but it doesn't
appear to do anything and I can't figure out where its coming from
because it doesn't seem to be listed in the xfce settings auto start
under session. So that's strange and looks bad because there's two
sound controllers in the panel this non functional gnome one and the
xfce mixer panel plugin.

I also see we still have Evince installed and I seem to remember there
being talk of replacing it with xpdf or some other viewer that I can't
seem to remember the name of. I don't mind either way, was just curious
what the status of that was.

Other than that I think everything looks amazing and I have yet to find
any issues with the default install from the Live media, everything
seems to be running like a champ!

As always ... questions, comments, and snide remarks are welcome! :)

-AdamM