XFCE Testing Necessary Skills?

Adam Miller maxamillion at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 25 15:51:24 UTC 2011

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:16:41AM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> What skillsets should I become very proficient with to eventually become
> an XFCE proventester?
>
> Whether language\commands or other.

<SNIP>

First of all, there technically isn't a "XFCE proventester" because as
per the wiki page for Fedora Proventesters[0] it is stated that the
job/function of a proventester is to test the Critical Path packages and
unless there's been a recent change, XFCE is not part of critical path.

Skipping that bit ...

Languages I don't think are a heavy requirement of being a proventester,
but knowing how to code is certainly a plus (if nothing more than to
make debugging easier on you because you understand control flow and
logic of how a program may or may not be performing certain functions).

This resource is certainly a good place to look as a tester:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/StackTraces

Understanding this process and a bit about what it means is critical for
filing good bug reports to that package maintainers and developers alike
have a good set of information to diagnose things on their end.

Hope this helps,
-AdamM

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Proven_tester