Reintroduce system-config-lvm and system-config-network to the spin, thoughts?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 24 14:50:03 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 24.08.2011, 09:41 -0500 schrieb Adam Miller:
> Hey everyone in xfce land!
>
> I was thinking about re-introducing system-config-lvm and
> system-config-network to the spin and I was hoping for feedback. To the
> best of my knowledge they were pulled for size reasons but I rolled my
> own liveCD including them this morning (on F15, next I'll try F16) and
> the resulting ISO is well under the 700mb mark.

They were removed as part of a general "system config tools
cleanup" (search the archives for that subject).

I don't think we should bring them back.
     1. system-config-network kind of conflicts with
        NetworkManager(-gnome). Having two network configuration tools
        is confusing and /etc/init.d/network is not even turned on by
        default, so changes there are no visible to users.
     2. system-config-lvm IHMO hadly serves a purpose. Most people just
        have lvm because it is the default from the installation and
        will never change anything after install.

Regards,
Christoph