Yikes! Panel disappeared; Won't start from 'settings', either (F14)

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Thu Feb 17 16:09:50 UTC 2011

List, good afternoon,

Switched on netbook as per usual today, login, but then there's no
'panel'.  I can right-click on the desktop, navigate the applications
to 'XFCE settings' but when I click on 'panel' nothing happens.
(Other settings 'applets' work fine.)

I've gone through Display, Desktop, Window manager etc, these settings
all seem fine.

My guess is the 'panel' applet isn't running.

Bit of a problem, because I use the network item on the panel to
select a network for connection.

Another clue, at login screen, there is a 'panel' which shows language
and keyboard selectors.  After login, though, the panel disappears and
doesn't come back.

I know that this is F15 testing day, but hadn't realised my netbook
knew, too. :)  More seriously, could anybody hint what I should check
to see why the panel isn't coming up?

I'd like to double check that it isn't caused just by a 'desktop'
switch, could anyone also let me know how to switch desktops when the
panel isn't there?

Sorry for the so-basic questions.  Both F13 and F14 have been really
reliable for me on netbooks, and so I don't know enough to
troubleshoot them.

Very many thanks,

Ron