More space on the Xfce spin

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:56:14 UTC 2011

Am Montag, den 24.01.2011, 14:45 +0100 schrieb Nick Schermer:
> On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Yesterday XZ compression hit rawhide and the nightly spins dropped from
> > ~694 MB (i686) / 695 MB (x86_64) to 567 / 568 MB.
> >
> > Now the question is: What are we going to do with this space? What would
> > you like to see in the F15 Xfce spin?
> >
> > Some suggestions:
> >      * libreoffice, at least writer, calc and impress
> >      * gnumeric again (if we don't do libreoffice)
> >      * more remmina-plugins: ATM we only have ssh, rdp and vnc, but
> >        xdmcp, telepathy and nx are available, too
> >      * more development stuff, e.g. meld and more geany-plugins
> >      * games, e.g. gnome-games?
> >
> > More ideas?
>
> Keep it small so it is more obvious Xfce is lightweight ;-). S

This is indeed something we should consider. People keep asking for
Open/Libreoffice or for Thunderbird instead of Claws, but these apps are
not that lightweight any longer.

On the other hand we will have plenty of GNOME refugees with Fedora 15
and should think about serving them, too, but without giving up the
prime directive of being lightweight.

Regards,
Christoph