More space on the Xfce spin

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:45:34 UTC 2011

Am Mittwoch, den 26.01.2011, 19:39 +0000 schrieb Ron Leach:
> Christoph Wickert wrote:
> >
> > Now the question is: What are we going to do with this space? What would
> > you like to see in the F15 Xfce spin?
> >

> + 1 for mc - also something we put onto everything.

Not sure if we should put a console app into a desktop spin. I mean, the
focus of this spin is on the desktop, not the console.

> We also use GWGET, GSTM (from FC12, I think), and also Filezilla, for
> sFTP when offsite.  I think each of these was not on the spin already?

I don't think we should add Filezilla. IIRC we had gftp and removed it
because the same FTP can be done with Thunar and gigilo, too. Now that
Thunar was ported to gvfs it runs way smoother and supports more
protocols such as SFTP. I really think we want to showcase the new
Thunar version in Fedora 15.

I agree a graphical download manager would be nice, but both firefox and
midiro have their download managers. The problem with gwget is that is
pretty much dead, no release for years and no bugfixes or even response
from the developer in GNOME bugzilla. I have quite a long list of gwget
bugs.

IIRC GSTM (gnome-ssh-tunnel-manager) is not in Fedora. I did package it
some time ago and might submit it for review.

Thanks for you suggestion, Ron!

Regards,
Christoph