Who is turning on my eth1?

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:09:48 UTC 2011

On 07/18/2011 11:17 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 16:09 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>> Am Montag, den 04.07.2011, 22:13 -0700 schrieb Tony and Marilyn Ewell:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> In Xfce 4.4.2, CentOS 5.6, 32 bit, I have a start up script
>>> that turns off eth1 (/sbin/ifdown eth1).
>>>
>>> Under Xfce 4.8, SL6 64 bit, eth1 is back on when Xfce settles.
>>> (I can manually run the script to down eth1.)
>>>
>>> Anyone have any idea who is doing this?
>> NetworkManager. Uncheck "Controlled by NetworkManager" in
>> nm-connection-editor or add "NM_CONTROLLED=no" to the ifcfg-eth1 file.
> Or instead of bypassing NM and using a dumb script to disable the
> interface, you could simply set ONBOOT=NO in the same file.

The dumb script is to make sure each entry into the Xfce starts
with eth1 in the off condition.  The ONBOOT=NO is a good idea,
but I still would need the dumb script to accomplish this.

The final bit of the puzzle was eth1 showing that it was up
(netstat -rn) when it was actually down.  As it turned out, my
script was calling ifdown with sudo in CentOS 5.6 and that jammed
the interface under SL6.  Removing the sudo statement and
the last piece of the puzzle was solved.  (USERCTL=yes).
Weird: the sudo line works fine from a command prompt inside
Xfce.

Thank you all for the help!
-T