Proposal: Too similar application names

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 16:59:27 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 11:50 -0400, Vitezslav Humpa wrote:

> Gnome(and KDE), perhaps with some exceptions, seem to cover s-c-*
> options rather well. I think we should consider simply removing the
> conflicting s-c-* from the menus altogether, thus getting rid of the
> duplicity. Should the user need to access these particular s-c-*
> utilities, they will still be present in the system.
>
> These are the ones, that are duplicate to the gnome-control-panel tools:
> system-config-date (Date & Time vs. Date and Time)
> system-config-printer (Printing vs. Printers)
> system-config-users (Users and Groups vs. User Accounts)
>
> Thoughts?

Need to check that the GNOME / KDE tools can set these things
system-wide (usually done via PolicyKit integration I think), but in
principle, yes. Well, rather than remove them from the menus, we could
make them NotShowIn (or whatever the keyword is) GNOME and KDE.
Desktop / KDE teams, wdyt?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey