Terminal desktop file name

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Jun 23 17:04:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-06-23 at 18:48 +0200, Christoph Wickert wrote:

> Xfce Address book
> Xfce Archive Manager
> Xfce Calculator
> Xfce File Manager
> Xfce Terminal
>
> This is what it's going to be in long run. People who have different
> terminals/calculators/whatever installed are definitely the minority and
> what we are starting here will make the majority have lots of ugly menu
> entries.

I don't think it's really that simple. There is a specific problem here:
Xfce's terminal application is *actually called Terminal*, it's not just
listed as that in the menus. It's a bad name for the application, quite
simply.

There are approaches that can be used in the case of apps that perform
the same purpose and may want to be listed under their purpose and not
their name in the system menus; the Name and GenericName fields exist to
help with this. But if the name of the app *is* its generic purpose,
that's a more serious issue. I don't think you can lump Terminal in with
all those others.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey