Terminal desktop file name

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 17:46:00 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 23.06.2011, 11:00 -0600 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:48:33 +0200
> Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Do you  really think it is great from a user's POV to have
> >
> > KDE Address book
> > KDE Archive Manager
> > KDE Calculator
> > KDE File Manager
> > KDE Terminal
> > GNOME Address book
> > GNOME Archive Manager
> > GNOME Calculator
> > GNOME File Manager
> > GNOME Terminal
> > LXDE Address book
> > LXDE Archive Manager
> > LXDE Calculator
> > LXDE File Manager
> > LXDE Terminal
> > Xfce Address book
> > Xfce Archive Manager
> > Xfce Calculator
> > Xfce File Manager
> > Xfce Terminal
>
> Yes, I do think that is better than:
>
> Address book
> Address book
> Address book
> Address book
> Terminal
> Terminal
> Terminal

Well, most people will just have

Address book
Terminal

Instead they get
KDE Address Book
KDE Terminal

> What solution do you propose then?

1. Don't do anything because it is just a corner case
2. Use OnlyShowIn where it makes sense.

BTW: We are already using OnlyShowIn in quite a few places. If we
started renaming things depending on the desktop we should also stop
using OnlyShowIn and rename these apps, too. Then we would see the whole
extent and how ugly this is.

> I think we can just drop this discussion now since upstream looks to
> want to move Terminal to xfce-terminal and that should fix this case.

While I agree with upstream that both the package and the binary should
be named xfce4-terminal I think the menu entry should remain "Terminal"
rather than "Xfce4 Terminal".

Regards,
Christoph