Terminal desktop file name

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 21:28:42 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 23.06.2011, 21:24 +0200 schrieb Martin Sourada:

> 1. There are people who wish to use different terminal than desktop
>    default (it's not "just running xterm in a window with tabs" and
>    it's certainly not running bash everywhere. There are people who use
>    different shells)
> 2. There are multi-user installations where one user uses KDE, another
>    GNOME and yet another XFCE
>
> How are you going to show both of them sensible menu entry for terminal?
> ShowOnlyIn will block the first use case, leaving Terminal will result
> in menu with two or more Terminals in there...

1 is not a problem as long as we don't change anything. People can
install and run what they like
2 is not a problem as long as we don't change anything. People can run
any terminal in any environment and they can configure their menu.

There only is a problem when 1 and 2 are combined: In a multi-user
install where users are using different desktops and do not want to use
the default terminal of that environment. This is 3 conditions combined
and I consider this a negligible cornercase that is not worth the
hassle.

Regards,
Christoph