Proposal: Too similar application names

Vitezslav Humpa vhumpa at redhat.com
Fri Jun 24 10:48:40 UTC 2011

> > > Need to check that the GNOME / KDE tools can set these things
> > > system-wide (usually done via PolicyKit integration I think), but
> > > in
> > > principle, yes. Well, rather than remove them from the menus, we
> > > could
> > > make them NotShowIn (or whatever the keyword is) GNOME and KDE.
> > > Desktop / KDE teams, wdyt?
> >
> > I would really rather they weren't installed at all, but that would
> > do
> > fine in the meanwhile.

I wouldn't remove them completely *just yet* at least for the GNOME
spin - as the s-c-* utilities offer little extra configurability not
provided by the control panel applets yet (I checked for the 3
menu-duplicate items in particular), though generally they seem to
intersect nicely(but not completely) both in features and scope.
Additionally there are also some dependencies to them (notably anaconda
and firstboot for s-c-date, s-c-users and s-c-keyboard...)

When it comes to KDE spin, I see no point in keeping them as
systemsettings currently provides for then just fine. Exception being
again s-c-* needed for firstboot.

> Well, I don't see why we shouldn't do both. Don't install 'em by
> default
> for GNOME and KDE spins, *and* make 'em NotShowIn desktops where
> they're
> not really needed, so that if people install them for use in Xfce or
> LXDE or whatever, they don't show up in GNOME or KDE.

Definitely. I will try out how the NotShowIn / OnlyShowIn works in
practice in different desktop environments.