Terminal desktop file name

Piscium groknok at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 10:31:46 UTC 2011

On 23 June 2011 18:58, Christoph Wickert
<christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

[snip]

> I am not restricting anybody, I just said that most people will only
> have one and we will force them to have specific menu entries for very
> generic items. IMHO this is restriction.

[snip]

>> > I doubt average users really have two different programs installed in
>> > case one breaks. And if something breaks, you can easily install
>> > another terminal. But you cannot just install another email client,
>> > you need to configure it and if you are not using IMAP, you won't
>> > have your mail available. So this is much more critical - but I doubt
>> > that anybody has installed two mail clients for that unlikely case.

[snip]

> I think web browsers are not generic. If they just embedded webkit or
> gecko, nobody would install two different browsers based on the same
> rendering engine.

My two cents: some people like choice.

Example: On Linux I use three browsers: Firefox, SeaMonkey and Opera
(the first two based on the same rendering engine). There are several
reasons. Firefox is the one I use most, but I configured it with the
most restrictive settings, such as ad blocker, flash blocker, cookie
blocker, and white-list JavaScript blocker. I configured SeaMonkey to
be somewhat more permissive. The other reason for these two browsers
is that on Firefox I use one Yahoo account, and on SeaMonkey a
different one. This is not possible with a single browser.  Also I use
Gmail with SeaMonkey but Google with Firefox, for a bit of privacy. I
use Opera mostly because I found it somewhat better with my Hotmail
account, and I have no extension or plugins for it, for those cases
where I need even less restrictions.

And I have about a dozen terminals installed, though I use four or
five on a regular basis. XFCE terminal is for my root shell, with a
particular background colour, so that my eyes are conditioned that I
know I am root just by the colour. Gnome-terminal is for general
purpose uses. LxTerminal is because that is the default for LxPanel,
although I don't have a compelling reason to use it. For top/htop I
use xterm or aterm as they are faster and configured for smaller size.

At the moment I use only one email client (Thunderbird), but in the
past on Windows I used two (Outlook and Thunderbird), each configured
to fetch mail from different accounts, and I may still use two clients
on Linux, as I am thinking of trying Claws.

With alacarte I modified some of the entries on the menu, such as
"Terminal (Gnome)" and  "Terminal (XFCE)".

I even use two panels on my desktop (Lx and XFCE) and two monitors
(Conky and GkrellM).

I love choice!