Floppy on desktop problem

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 03:51:32 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 21:42, Todd And Margo Chester
<toddandmargo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Apparently SL6 and FC15 do not automatically support floppy
> drives anymore.  (I had to put a "modprobe floppy" in my rc.local
> to get my /dev/fd0 back.)
>
> Problem,  my floppy disk still does not show up on my desktop
> even with the modprobe in the rc.local.  How do I get my
> floppy disk to show up on my desktop again when I insert a disk?

Did that ever work? Most floppy disk units do not have a probe to say
"disk inserted/removed" as that was never in the spec (some do but it
was on a proprietary set I think). Some OS's would check by asking the
disk drive to spin/up check which worked for some models but others
would scream out and/or wear out parts.

I do not have any hardware with floppy disks in it (my oldest
hardware's one died years ago so I removed it.) but it looks like
thunar-volman will allow you to configure how certain hardware should
look. Thunar itself should then have it available in the panel. As
appearing on the desktop, I have no idea.. I don't use that paradigm
at/all.

> Many thanks,
> -T

Stephen J Smoogen.