Floppy on desktop problem

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 04:22:59 UTC 2011

On 06/26/2011 08:51 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 21:42, Todd And Margo Chester
> <toddandmargo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Apparently SL6 and FC15 do not automatically support floppy
>> drives anymore.  (I had to put a "modprobe floppy" in my rc.local
>> to get my /dev/fd0 back.)
>>
>> Problem,  my floppy disk still does not show up on my desktop
>> even with the modprobe in the rc.local.  How do I get my
>> floppy disk to show up on my desktop again when I insert a disk?
> Did that ever work? Most floppy disk units do not have a probe to say
> "disk inserted/removed" as that was never in the spec (some do but it
> was on a proprietary set I think). Some OS's would check by asking the
> disk drive to spin/up check which worked for some models but others
> would scream out and/or wear out parts.

My floppy drive shows up under CentOS 5.6, 32 bit, Xfce 4.4.2, Thunar
0.9.0, but does not show up on my desktop.

I would be happy to have my floppy show back up in Xfce 4.8's
file manager.  I can live without it on the desktop.

> I do not have any hardware with floppy disks in it (my oldest
> hardware's one died years ago so I removed it.) but it looks like
> thunar-volman will allow you to configure how certain hardware should
> look. Thunar itself should then have it available in the panel. As
> appearing on the desktop, I have no idea.. I don't use that paradigm
> at/all.

Not seeing anything specific to floppies in device management (which
I presume is thunar-volman).