Floppy on desktop problem

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 04:42:24 UTC 2011

On 06/26/2011 08:51 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 26, 2011 at 21:42, Todd And Margo Chester
> <toddandmargo at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Apparently SL6 and FC15 do not automatically support floppy
>> drives anymore.  (I had to put a "modprobe floppy" in my rc.local
>> to get my /dev/fd0 back.)
>>
>> Problem,  my floppy disk still does not show up on my desktop
>> even with the modprobe in the rc.local.  How do I get my
>> floppy disk to show up on my desktop again when I insert a disk?
> Did that ever work?

Interesting, I fired up my VM of FC14, Xfce 4.6.  The floppy was missing
from the
file manager.  So, I fired up "modprobe floppy".  A bazillon  /dev/fd*
devices
showed up.  After that, my floppy drive showed in the file manager.

Under SL6, after the modprobe, I only got a single /dev/sd0.  Maybe the
file manager wants to see the bazillion /dev/fd* entries?  Maybe
it is looking for /dev/sd1444 or some such, instead of /dev/fd0?
Maybe I need to yum some additional support?

-T