non-Xfce apps in the xfce-desktop group

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 5 15:11:12 UTC 2011

Recently some system-config-* tools were moved from the base-x group to
their "appropriate desktop environments" [1] [2]. I think removing them
from base-x is a step in the right direction, but adding system-config-*
stuff and especially abrt-desktop or gnome-packagekit with their GNOME
dependencies to the xfce-desktop group seems wrong to me. These are
admin tools, they are already part of the admin-tools group and will be
installed on the current Xfce spin anyway because we install
admin-tools. IMHO 'yum install ydxe-desktop' should only install an Xfce
desktop, not more and not less.

Is everybody fine with me removing
      * abrt-desktop
      * gnome-packagekit
      * system-config-date
      * system-config-firewall
      * system-config-services
      * system-config-users
from xfce-desktop? I'd do the same as I did for LXDE [3].

This still leaves us with the following non-Xfce packages:
      * desktop-backgrounds-compat
      * gdm
      * openssh-askpass
      * polkit-gnome

desktop-backgrounds-compat is required and openssh-ask pass not
problematic. polkit-gnome is not problematic either because it has no
GNOME dependencies, but if this changes or they switch to GTK+ 3, we can
still move to lxpolkit.

So the only questionable package is gdm. I think we need a display
manager but I'm no longer convinced it should be gdm. gdm now is in GTK+
3 and requires not only gnome-session but also gnome-settings-manager
and gnome-screensaver with all their deps such as gnome-control-center.
We'd end up with two screensavers but only xscreensaver works in Xfce.

LXDE is too buggy IMHO and I'm currently packaging and investigating
lightdm [4]. I'll let you know once it's read for testing and then we
can decide whether or not to switch.

Questions? Thoughts?

Regards,
Christoph