non-Xfce apps in the xfce-desktop group

Brock Hudson escapingsummer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 21:07:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, 5 Mar 2011 12:41:31 -0800
suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Mar 5, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Brock Hudson
> <escapingsummer at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Personally SELinux drives me up the wall sometimes, yes its nice but
> > even my own shell scripts occasionally have a problem with it. :(
> >

> I think security issues are of the prime importance. If someone wants
> not to use SELINUX, its their choice. But having something as
> important as the desktop manager on the default spin that doesn't play
> well with SELINUX is not a good option in my opinion.
>
> > I do realize it doesn't handle dual screen but doesn't LXDE itself
> > come with a disclaimer that it isn't a powerful desktop with all the
> > features that most others have, but rather a more conservative
> > approach to the desktop?
>
> I think use of XFCE is rather common on mobile platforms like laptops
> and netbooks. These are also the platforms which get used in a dual
> display configuration rather often (presentations or work with
> external monitors at work). FWIW, I use XFCE on my primary desktop and
> workstation too and they are all dual screens.

Like I stated about SELinux it is nice and I appreciate and understand
why its there and its importance and I am a very big proponent of
security however I was simply stating it is occasionally an annoyance
for me but its just the way it has to be.

I do realize Xfce is a popular choice for mobile platforms, and I am
not saying that it isn't important to include that feature, I was just
stating that LXDM and the other components of LXDE have a disclaimer
with them that they are NOT feature rich compared to other DEs.