Xfce 4.8 for F14 now ready

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 6 03:31:51 UTC 2011

I have updated my Xfce 4.8 repository at
http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/cwickert/xfce-4.8
and it is fairly complete. Some packages however are now obsolete:

      * thunar-shares-plugin: dead upstream, would needed to be ported
        from thunar-vfs to gvfs.
      * xfce4-remmina-plugin: remmina now has a generic trayicon,
        however the new version is only available in F15 or my remmina
        repo at http://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/cwickert/remmina
      * xfce4-stopwatch-plugin: dead upstream, uses old panel API.
      * xfce4-volstatus-icon: dead upstream, uses HAL. I might revive it
        nevertheless.
      * xfce4-xfapplet-plugin: dead upstream, uses old gnome-panel API
        and handles only old bonobo-based applets but not new dbus based
        ones. With gnome-shell there is not much future for panel
        applets anyway.

If you can live without these plugins, you are invited to upgrade your
F14 installation to Xfce 4.8. Please note that you will have to remove
the plugins before you upgrade because Thunar and xfce4-panel do not yet
obsolete them. We will do this for F15 Beta and then do more upgrade
tests in order to provide a smooth upgrade.

Regards,
Christoph