Panel layout in Xfce 4.8 (was Re: Goal: Make XFCE rock in Fedora)

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Tue Mar 8 20:26:26 UTC 2011

Martin Sourada wrote:
> lately, systemtray tends to
> expand exponentially (volume control, ibus, network, power, various
> apps that can hide there, ...). This almost calls for having it on
> different panel than tasklist, IMHO.

Oh! What a good idea.  Speaking as a (heavy) netbook user, of XFCE
because it suits netbooks so well, and needing all the limited screen
space on netbooks, I'd like the panel to have the running apps so that
I can switch between them, but the system tray is also very useful,
and at any moment.  On desktop machines with 'wide-screen' displays, I
use a vertical icon list of main apps, which takes very little space,
and I'd like to suggest that the system tray be detached, placed
vertically on the right (say), and hideable so that it comes out if
the mouse goes to that edge.  Also, or it could be permanent.  But, it
definitely need not be as large as it is at the moment.  What is the
icon block size at the moment - 45 x 45?  I don't know.  But I'd like
to suggest that the icons in the system tray could be smaller, maybe
half, or 3/4 their present size, and more detail can come up when a
mouse hovers over them.

But such a good idea.  Panel for apps (and desktops for those that
want it - I don't use it); vertical sidebar for system tray, with
smaller icons.

regards, Ron