Panel layout in Xfce 4.8 (was Re: Goal: Make XFCE rock in Fedora)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 21:02:38 UTC 2011

Hi again,

I put together two sketches of possible panel layouts (they are made in
inkscape so in reality the rendering would look most likely different),
one is sporting the one panel approach, the other one plays with two
panels. Both contain the applets we (more or less) agreed upon.

The basic ideas for the applet separation between panels is this:
* clock, desktop switcher, and lock screen+log out should be in corners
  (I think it is more compact and improves their accessibility)
* menus and window buttons in panel are like menus and tabs in windows,
  so they should be in top panel
* launchers, trash, show-desktop, system tray, mixer are all
  represented by icons so optically they're similar + they could in
  theory profit from being slightly bigger
* both system-tray and window-list tend to grow big so it's good idea
  to have them in different panels, if possible

The sketches and some more comments are available on the following wiki
page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Mso/XFCE/Panel

It would be awesome if the bottom panel could be semi-transparent
(makes it looks much better and it feels more like dock than panel),
but I guess compositing is too unreliable to turn it on by default [in
xfce].

I hope this helps move the discussion one step forward ;-) Comments are
welcome.

Cheers,
Martin