Panel layout in Xfce 4.8 (was Re: Goal: Make XFCE rock in Fedora)

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 09:11:07 UTC 2011

Hi Marcus,

On Mon, 14 Mar 2011 08:46:41 +0100
Marcus Moeller wrote:
> Dear Martin,
>
> Both layouts look fine so far. But a few things depends on the target
> user. E.g. I personally do not often use workspaces, so I put the
> workspace switcher somwhere where it does not annoy me. Instead I
> still use the 'show desktop' button quite often. But as said, it
> depends a lot on the end user.
>
> A few years ago, Christoph came up with a layout that looked quite
> similar to the default GNOME one, which I personally liked a lot, and
> I still think it would be great to offer this option. There will be a
> lot of ppl looking for a alternative to GNOME Shell and it would be
> cool if we can make then happy with Xfce.

To be fair, I haven't used default GNOME layout for so long that I've
totally forgotten how it looks, so I designed these layouts from ground
up and put them up for debate (I think one person alone isn't able to
come up with the best layout [TM]) :-)  Basically, considering the
previous discussion and your input I believe we are basically left we
three options:
1. single panel layout, containing all the widgets we agreed upon as
   must have, designed from ground for best usability, proposal for that
   is Layout A on [1]
2. two panel layout, containing all the widgets we agreed upon,
   designed from ground for best usability, proposal for that is Layout
   B on [1]
3. Adopt the former Gnome 2 default two panel layout.

I think we all agree though, that the current XFCE default layout is
suboptimal.

Cheers,
Martin