Update notification changes for F15

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 15 17:42:20 UTC 2011

I just talked to Richard Hughes about some update notification stuff for
Fedora 15, and this nugget came up:

<adamw> hughsieafk: oh, sorry, one other thing - is the update
notification fd.o notification area icon still going to exist for other
desktops to use?
<hughsieafk> adamw, no, that's gone completely
<adamw> hughsieafk: ah, so we're going to lose update notification for
xfce/lxde unless they come up with their own thing. i'll let them
know...
<hughsieafk> adamw, we're still using libnotify so xfce will get
notified, but no icon showing state

AIUI, this means there won't be any notification area icon for update
availability notification in gnome-packagekit for F15. So Xfce (and
LXDE) may need to come up with an alternative arrangement. I'm not sure
exactly what the libnotify support will result in, but this is
definitely something to look at. I'm CCing Richard in case he can
provide any additional details.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey