DM for Fedora 15 Xfce

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 19:03:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:12:35 +0100
Christoph Wickert wrote:
> in fact people don't seem to have a problem with it, but I have:
>       * no timed login
IMHO this shouldn't be show-stopper, but would be nice to have

>       * no keyboard selection
IMHO this is a show-stopper.

>       * no polkit aware, you can shutdown while a user is logged in
IMHO, not show-stopper, but would be nice to have, along with fast user
switching.

> The funny thing is, that GDM used to support all of the above, but no
> longer does. This being said the only difference is that GDM supports
> fast user switching.
LOL

> > and lightdm was mentioned but is still in the process of being
> > packaged.
>
> it is packaged but doesn't work with out prefdm script because the
> script adds a "--nodaemon" parameter that lightdm doesn't like and
> therefore quits.

Does not look like something that should be hard to fix. Does it
satisfy our needs otherwise (i.e. can choose xfce session, can choose
language/keyboard, can shutdown/restart, autologin, polkit integration)?

> I think we cannot yet make a final decision, I'd like to hear some
> opinions first.

I personally grew to like LXDM, but the missing keyboard selection is a
problem we must take into account :(

Martin