desktop notifications crashing apps?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 15 17:27:11 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, den 15.11.2011, 14:18 +0100 schrieb Michael Schwendt:
> According to
>
>   https://bugzilla.redhat.com/754036#c4
>
> xfce4-notifyd is not installed, but notification-daemon is.
>
> If notification-daemon needs to be started, but isn't started,
> why is that?

Because the Desktop team and GNOME upstream (which is the same) think
it's better if the desktop file for the autostart is provided by
gnome-session and not by notification-deamon. They did the same with
polkit-gnome.

Initially this was suggested as a feature for Fedora 14 [1], but it was
never approved or even brought up to FESCo. I made a counter-proposal
[2] but the GNOME folks silently changed both notification-daemon and
pilkot-gnome. We are now left with all the bug reports.

>  Which component to reassign the ticket to?

I'd say notication-daemon, but I guess you will either get no response
or they will tell you that notification-daemon is not supported outside
of the GNOME fallback session. They will just happily throw the problem
over the fence and reassign the bug to a random package like
xfce4-session.

I just brought this topic up on the desktop list again [3], you can join
the conversation if you like. Let's see how it turns out, but I really
don't want to have all session and window managers install arbitrary
desktop files for things that might not even be installed.

Regards,
Christoph

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PolkitAgentReorg
[2]