gnome-panel??

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Sat Nov 19 22:19:46 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-11-19 at 19:15 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 11:22:25 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> > Running gnome 3's gnome-panel under Xfce is quite unlikely to work
> > smoothly, IMHO.

Right. It's intended for fallback mode use only in GNOME3 (and thus what
you are really looking for is a forward port of the GNOME2.x panel if
you want to get back the 2.x experience). Think upon it like what
Canonical did to create the fallback in Unity. Unfortunately, the
GNOME3.x "panel" is also integrated with the whole overall Shell
concept, so trying to run it in any other setup won't work.

> 	I thought Gnome 3 didn't have one! Is gnome-
> panel-3.2.1-2.fc16.i686 (given by rpm -q) part of gnome 3, then?? That
> seems contrary to the gnome-developers' whole new party line.

They're trying to kill it off and go to a unified single approach based
on shoving everything into the window manager in Javascript, but haven't
quite reached that point of nirvana yet.

Anyway, welcome to the party. I looked at 2.x panel code for a while
with a view to porting it onto the later GTK. Then I thought about it
and asked myself why I'd want to spend my spare time fixing that for
them when Xfce is clearly the better investment of spare time. I suggest
you make the switch entirely and we collectively figure out what's going
on with your switching between workspaces.

Jon.