Center lower panel?

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 24 20:21:06 UTC 2011

Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2011, 13:58 -0500 schrieb David:
> On 11/24/2011 12:58 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>
> > Hi David,
> >
> > what you are seeing in Fedora is the default panel configuration from
> > upstream, we didn't change it. Check out the default configuration
> > from /etc/xdg/xfce4/panel/default.xml. The relevant line seems to be
> >
> >         <property name="position" type="string" value="p=10;x=0;y=0"/>
> >
> > You can try to manually edit your configuration and restart xfce4-panel
> > with 'xfce4-panel -r' afterwards. Good luck!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christoph
>

> All this time I was 'talking' to one of the Xfce guys?  'blush'

If 'guys' are 'maintainers', then yes. :)

Kevin and I are the only two maintainers, see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Xfce

I'm also involved in Xfce upstream a little, I am leading the German
translation team, take care of the bug tracker and contributed some
patches, but I wouldn't dare calling myself an Xfce developer.

> I see the line in the file but since this is a second panel should I add
> a line with this to that file? Or should I copy this somewhere with a
> 'change'?

Look for the second panel. You should be able to identify it by looking
at the list of items in the panel. Then look for the line that includes
the propery "position" and change it as given in my example. But this is
just a dirty hack and I'm not sure it will work.

Meanwhile I found the solution. I had to ask Nick (xfce4-panel's author)
on IRC because it is everything but intuitive:
     1. Create a panel and push it to the bottom/top/left side/right
        side of the screen.
     2. Try to center it and then carefully drag it along the edge.
     3. When you have hit the middle, it snaps and stays in the middle

Now we have the solution we were looking for, but unfortunately not on
the Xfce mailing list. I will post it there, too, but now you understand
why I wanted the thread to continue there.

Kind regards,
Christoph