Center lower panel?

David dgboles at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 22:56:37 UTC 2011

On 11/24/2011 3:21 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 24.11.2011, 13:58 -0500 schrieb David:
>> On 11/24/2011 12:58 PM, Christoph Wickert wrote:
>>

>> All this time I was 'talking' to one of the Xfce guys?  'blush'
>
> If 'guys' are 'maintainers', then yes. :)

Hmm...  A much better description.

> Kevin and I are the only two maintainers, see
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Xfce
>
> I'm also involved in Xfce upstream a little, I am leading the German
>  translation team, take care of the bug tracker and contributed some
>  patches, but I wouldn't dare calling myself an Xfce developer.
>
>> I see the line in the file but since this is a second panel should
>> I add a line with this to that file? Or should I copy this
>> somewhere with a 'change'?
>
> Look for the second panel. You should be able to identify it by
> looking at the list of items in the panel. Then look for the line
> that includes the propery "position" and change it as given in my
> example. But this is just a dirty hack and I'm not sure it will
> work.
>
> Meanwhile I found the solution. I had to ask Nick (xfce4-panel's
> author) on IRC because it is everything but intuitive: 1. Create a
> panel and push it to the bottom/top/left side/right side of the
> screen. 2. Try to center it and then carefully drag it along the
> edge. 3. When you have hit the middle, it snaps and stays in the
> middle

Thank you for than. I will try as so as possible.

> Now we have the solution we were looking for, but unfortunately not
> on the Xfce mailing list. I will post it there, too, but now you
> understand why I wanted the thread to continue there.
>
> Kind regards, Christoph

I understood what before but I did not seem to be having much luck
there. Often the major part of my problem is knowing just how to ask.

One thousand years ago in a college calculus class (late '60s early
'70s) we were asked "Do you have any questions before the assignment?"
No one raised there hands but me. I said that my question was that I
understood so little  this assignment that I di *not* know what
question(s) to ask.  made me 'friends' with the prof and he was 'softer'
from there on.   :-)

--

  David